Sandra Bullock just donated $1 million to victims of Hurricane Harvey. A rep for Red Cross confirmed the star’s generous donation by saying, “This is an incredible gift. We’re so thankful.” She’s one of many celebs vowing to help the people of Texas, including Kevin Hart and Ellen Degeneres.
“It’s times like this when we do receive such an incredible amount of support. Especially during times of disaster, people see what’s happening in Texas and our hearts all go out to them,” Elizabeth Penniman, Vice President of Communications for American Red Cross national headquarters, told People. “Having someone like Sandra Bullock make this kind of commitment, it helps bring people together and open their hearts and be even more generous.”
Bullock, who has a home in Austin, Texas, is encouraging others to help out as they can. “There are no politics in eight feet of water. There are human beings in eight feet of water.” She added, “I’m just grateful I can do it. We all have to do our part.”
The star, who also helped rebuild a New Orleans high school after Hurricane Katrina, was honored in 2013 with the first-ever People’s Choice Award for Favorite Humanitarian. She has reportedly given more than $5 million to the Red Cross over the years.
Among the other stars stepping up to help in the wake of Hurricane Harvey:
- Beyoncé, who hails from Houston, said in a statement Tuesday: “I am working closely with my team at BeyGOOD as well as my pastor [Rudy Rasmus at St. John’s in downtown Houston] to implement a plan to help as many as we can.”
- Kevin Hart, who donated $50,000 to the Red Cross and challenged friends, including Dave Chappelle and Chris Rock, to do the same.
- Jennifer Lopez and Alex Rodriguez, who donated a combined $50,000.
- Dwayne Johnson, who donated $25,000 to the Red Cross.
- Ellen Degeneres announced in a Twitter clip that she is donating $25,000 to the Red Cross and $25,000 to the Houston ASPCA. “A lot of people in Texas have lost their homes. The city of Houston has been hit the hardest. I know people want to help. I would like to help.”